Cervus Defence and Security is looking for a placement student to gain valuable work experience as part of its growing team.
Cervus are a Small Medium Enterprise (SME) company based in Wiltshire that has a growing reputation for developing novel and exciting processes and systems that support military and security clients. We are experts in the delivery of experimentation, data capture and training exploitation. We combine expert technical knowledge with on the ground military and security experience to address and understand potential problems before they become actual problems. We are one of the very few organisations who can deliver true end-to-end capability development in the defence and security sector.
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE:
We are looking for a placement student looking to gain experience in a commercial organisation before returning to university. Throughout the placement you will be working on many different projects both internally to Cervus and with our customers in the defence and security sector. These projects will provide you real world experience and personal development that you can take forward to your studies and career.
You will work as a member of a project team which is usually employed on a consultancy basis identifying the customer issue, gathering real world data on the issue, developing and testing the technical solutions and conducting data analysis to inform project reporting and solution implementation.
If you’re passionate about data and technology and pushing the boundaries of what it can achieve and want to gain experience in applying it to real life problems then we want to hear from you.
You will have a minimum of three Bs at A level or equivalent and if an undergraduate be on track for at least a 2:1 degree (or equivalent) in a technology/computing/mathematics degree
Key Skills & competencies:
• Outgoing and comfortable with working in a changing environment
• Keen to travel and at times conduct project work in austere environments
• Good analytical skills and a keen interest in technology
• An understanding of IT solutions and ideally some programming skills (specifically development of SQL databases)
• Ability to apply technology creatively
• A logical approach to problem solving
• Ability to deliver projects within agreed timescales
Desirable skills & competencies
• Knowledge of development of machine learning approaches
• Confidence to work independently, using your initiative
• Comfortable working in outside environments (such as on military exercises)
The successful candidate will be required to go through background checks to gain security clearance. Due to the nature of the work then a driving licence is preferable.
The important bit:
- Student Type : Undergraduate & Pre University
- Department : N/A
- Salary : £15000 –
- Location : Porton, Wiltshire
- Line Manager/ reports to : Chris Rolfs
- General Terms & Conditions : 37.5 hours, 30 days holiday
- Placement Start date / Duration : Start Summer / Autumn 2019 Duration: 12 months
- Interview Date: Interviews in Feb / March 2019