Would you love to be part of a growing team of engineers, developers, and analysts that is pushing the boundaries of what has traditionally been done with data? Do you enjoy taking on a challenge and being at the heart of a team delivering data science to solve some of the trickiest problems?
Cervus is a Small Medium Enterprise (SME) company based in the South West. We’ve doubled in size in the last 12 months and have a growing reputation for living our values and developing novel and exciting processes and systems to support the frontline.
Our team are experts in the delivery of experimentation, data capture and training exploitation. We combine expert technical knowledge with on the ground military and security experience to address and understand potential problems before they become actual problems. Cervus are one of the very few organisations that can deliver true end-to-end capability development in the defence and security sector.
We are seeking a capable data scientist who is confident to take the initiative and deliver work independently. You will be able to provide evidence of having worked in a similar, dynamic work environment, writing, developing, and deploying code successfully to meet complex client challenges.
- Assemble large, complex, data sets that meet the project and or client requirements from a wide variety of structured and unstructured sources.
- Develop and enhance the AI and ML capabilities of our HIVE analytics engine to exploit training and operational data in new and innovative ways.
- Build credible statistical models from data and use best practice to generate reproducible work.
- Develop new requirements-driven or opportunity-driven tools and approaches as part of or distinct from our HIVE analytics engine.
- Support work on new areas of interest as part of our R&D strategy.
- Bring an interdisciplinary focus, using techniques and knowledge from across the scientific spectrum.
- Help grow data science skills across our teams.
We expect you to have the following:
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline and/or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrable proficiency in large scale data mapping, migration, enrichment, profiling, logging and querying.
- A strong track record in manipulating, processing and extracting value from large, disconnected datasets using appropriate tools, e.g. Python, R, MATLAB, Apache OpenNLP, MongoDB, SQL, Kafka, Spark, NiFi, Java and C++ etc.
- Experience of Linux Administration and containerised apps (e.g. Docker).
- A track record of delivering quality projects / work within agreed timescales.
We’d love you to have or be familiar with:
- PhD or be working towards a PhD in a related field.
- Experience deploying on cloud technologies.
- Development experience with NLP orientated approaches to natural language data.
- Experience writing and deploying Advanced ML and AI approaches, particularly in sports, geo terrain, or intelligence applications.
- Relevant certification (e.g. BCS in DevOps, Agile, AWS, Azure).
£48,000 – £60,000 (depending on experience)
Share options, min 32 days annual leave (inc. bank holidays) which increases with service, generous pension, health care, flexible working, generous learning and development opportunities and awesome colleagues.
Location and Working Arrangements
We have two sites: Porton Science Park (SP4 0BF) and our new office in Runway East Bristol Bridge (BS1 6AA). You may occasionally be required to work evenings, weekends, and bank holidays and due to the nature of the work a driving licence is preferable. The successful applicant will be required to gain UK Security Clearance.
Available to start June 2021 (or earlier)
For more information or to apply, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org