Would you love to explore data analytics in a growing company that is pushing the boundaries with what has traditionally been done with data?
Do you enjoy taking on a challenge and being at the heart of a team delivering new data analytics approaches to some of the trickiest problems?
Cervus are a Small Medium Enterprise (SME) company based in Wiltshire that has a growing reputation for developing novel and exciting processes and systems that support military and security clients. We are experts in the delivery of experimentation, data capture and training exploitation. We combine expert technical knowledge with on the ground military and security experience to address and understand potential problems before they become actual problems. We are one of the very few organisations who can deliver true end-to-end capability development in the defence and security sector and are looking to expand.
Job Title: Data Engineer
Salary : £24000 + Objective and Key Results (OKR) related bonus
Location : Porton Science Park, Wiltshire
Line Manager : Chris Rolfs, Chief Technology Officer
General Terms & Conditions : 40 working hours per week
Placement Start date : Autumn 2020
Interviews in : March / April 2020
We are looking for a graduate data engineer to support our analysis team working in the defence and security sector. You will be employed to work with our HIVE analytics engine to enhance the capabilities to meet the growing requirements for developing and implementing new ways of exploiting the data. You will work across the company supporting both internal R&D and working with our customers (both in the UK and abroad) developing new algorithms and supporting the business.
• Developing/integrating algorithms on our proprietary analytics engine.
• Working as part of the team in understanding the customer’s needs and converting them to data insights.
• Development and delivery of the analytics engine
• Providing customer support (both in person and remotely)
• Providing support on the analytics engine with the team to support analytics with the customer
WHAT DO WE OFFER:
You will receive training our proprietary analytics engine (Hive) and the other tools that we use when you start with the company and provided with a mentor to help you start and throughout your career in the company.
You will receive 30 days annual leave (including bank holidays) a generous pension and upon completion of a probationary period employees are provided with private medical insurance, life insurance, an opportunity to join the company share scheme and flexible working arrangements (including home working) as well as other national incentives like the Cycle2Work scheme.
If you’re passionate about data and technology and pushing the boundaries of what it can achieve and are looking to start your career where you are supported and have the freedom to grow, then we want to hear from you.
Qualifications: You will either have completed or complete in 2020 a degree in a technology/computing/mathematics subject and be on track for at least a 2:1 degree (or equivalent).
• Have a 2:1 or be on track to gain a 2:1 in either a computer, technology or mathematics subject or have equivalent experience.
• Competency in Python, Docker and Databases
• Comfortable working in both Linux and Windows environments
• Good analytical skills and a keen interest in technology
• Outgoing and comfortable with working in a changing environment
• Keen to travel and at times conduct project work in austere environments
• A logical approach to problem solving
• Ability to deliver projects within agreed timescales
• Able to demonstrate knowledge and/or experience of equality and diversity issues
• Able to provide complex information in accurate spoken English
Desirable skills & competencies
• Competency in Scala
• Knowledge of development of machine learning approaches
• Confidence to work independently, using your initiative
The successful candidate will be required to go through background checks to gain security clearance and is likely to be required to travel abroad occasionally.
Due to the nature of the work a driving licence is preferable but not essential.